Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Saturday, September 22, 2012

The (Not-So) Mighty Mississippi


I was mostly thinking about where I would stay next when I drove through Grand Falls, Minnesota. Suddenly, I noticed a sign by the bridge I was approaching.  The bridge was very short and the stream was only maybe twenty to fifty feet across.  But the sign said, "Mississippi River".

That piqued my interest because I'm very familiar with the Mississippi River, especially the portion that goes from Baton Rouge, Louisiana through New Orleans and on to the Gulf of Mexico.  It is a huge muddy stream filled with shipping barges and push boats. A paddle wheeler takes the affluent up river, I think to Tennessee. I've dreamed of doing that trip but can't  afford it.

So I decided I REALLY wanted to see the Mississippi River's beginnings. While I got my oil changed in my car, I got in conversation with a guy who told me I needed to go to Itasca State Park to see the headwaters. Then, while I was at the library at Grand Rapids - which probably was the name given to some big rapids, I asked the reference librarian about the rapids. Yes they were grand - so much so that shipping (by paddlewheelers)  had to stop and the unloading area was just behind the library.  But now they are buried at the bottom of a lake a few miles upstream.

I determined that I would spend the cloudy, rainy night at Itasca State Park and drove up there. I got in a few minutes of looking over the area before dark but wasn't sure I'd actually seen the Mississippi.  Next morning I started cooking breakfast when the sun started coming out.  So I dropped everything and grabbed a breakfast bar and rushed off to explore the river.

I parked at the Mary Gibbs Mississippi River Headwaters Center, and did a couple of stops at the displays while rushing back to the trail to the headwaters. 


A sign marked a beautiful trail through the pines.




In only a few minutes, I arrived at the dividing rocks between Lake Itasca and the Mississippi.





Hardly any water was coming over or through the rocks. This was the major stream of the water and it was hardly more than what I can pour from my five gallon jug.



Lake Itasca was beautiful  in the morning light.



A couple of women showed up and took turns take each other's picture on the headwater rocks. 




Do these rocks appear natural to you?  They are actually an "improvement" done by the CCC in 1933. It was the first improvement they did to the park.  The REAL environment was a marsh which you can see a little further down the stream. This is how we should have to visit the headwaters.




The informational display about the river and it's history was also interesting. A lot of explorers hunted for the headwaters and several lakes were declared the headwaters before Henry Schoolcraft finally got an Indian to guide him to Lake Itasca. He declared it was the headwaters after his expedition in 1832.

I particularly loved this statue of the Caretaker Woman, releasing baby turtles into the river. I also added the sign so you can click on it to read the details of the Indian's belief in this woman and her role in the life of the river. There is also a ten minute video on Henry Schoolhouse and his discovery of the headwaters as well as a model of the Mississippi and lots of other information.






I wished I had had more time to explore the park. There is both a champion red pine and a white pine there as well as a wonderful wilderness area that has a hiking trail through it. There are over 100 lakes in this huge place. If you are interested, visit their site and see all the wonderful information they have on the history, the geology, and the logging industry in the area, as well as the park's plans for the future.

I'm currently (Sept. 20) in Billings, Montana  and have to leave soon and drive about another 100 miles (for a total of over 500 today. Then I have a day and a half before I'll meet my friends in Bozeman, Montana,  with whom I'll be touring Yellowstone. Again, I'll probably be off the Internet for a week, but should have time to get up another blog before I leave.

9 comments:

  1. The Headwaters area has been in a very severe drought all summer and now fall as much of MN has been except for the Arrowhead region in NE MN.

    500 miles per day is really pushing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there was a drought. There has been one in every state I've been in from Oregon to Minnesota. We have smoke in Bozeman from fires in Idaho.

      Delete
  2. I just loved Itasca when I was there and your pictures are some of the very ones I took. It was so much fun to put one foot on the East side of the mighty mississippi and one on the west side. This is a definite return to place for me. I especially love the caretaker woman and later sculpted a similar much less elegant sort of bowl for myself. Thanks SO much for the memories!! Sounds like you'd like to return as well. Perhaps we will be there together. That would be wonderful!

    Happy Fall Equinox Marilyn. I'm sorry you are spending it driving 500 miles. Whew.....you are a champ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I'm done with that for a while. Met one friend today and we have the alarm set for 10P to be sure and go retrieve our other friend from the airport. Off to a week of hiking and driving in Yellowstone.

    It definitely would be fun to meet you - even not at Itasca. And that is a place that deserves a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn, if you get to the Tetons, please post some pics. People have been posting about how the leaves are about to turn there and raving. Wish I was there.

    Are you still planning to be in Texas later in the year? I'm leaning toward puttering my way to Kingwood for a December-April stint if I can get the rustbucket RV ready to take to the road. But I've been so far behind on that effort, I don't take anything for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be in Texas by mid-November. Don't have a volunter job lined up and probably won't get one until February now. So I'll be mooching and playing. Like to do both with you. :). However my friends are lining up jobs for me and putting them in their invitations.

      Delete
  5. From the headwaters at Lake Itasca, the Mississippi River meanders as a small lazy river in northern/central MN until it reaches Mpls. and then it becomes a "working river". The upper Mississippi is beautiful - I think you would enjoy kayaking down it - There are many canoe campsites and State Parks along the way to stop and camp in. Once you get as far as the Brainerd/Little Falls area, the River has gotten wider and deeper but it is still a recreational river until you get to the northern suburbs of Minneapolis and it begins to become a working river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to figure that out. Would love to do that and also the Missouri as long camping trips. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  6. I'll have to add this one to my list since we've been to quite a few places along the Mississippi in WI, IL and MN. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete