Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Bison in Lust

One morning in mid July I walked out of the bunkhouse to hear a new sound.  It was the bellowing of of bull bison.  The rut was starting and the bison were in the Headquarters pasture, where the bulls love to posture, fight, and challenge roll in the  many wallows they have made.  This pasture is adjacent to the bunkhouse area, so we could see a lot of the action from the bunkhouse.

Challenge rolling

That week, we set up the Talk-to-a-Biologist program along the road where cars would want to stop anyway to see the action.  In between customers, I tried to document all the interesting stuff going on.


Bull keeping cow from other bulls and constantly smelling her
 Kelsey, the biology tech working the program with me, told me that mostly it's the young bulls that tend cows at first.  This means they cut a cow out of the herd and then keep her isolated.  Other bulls may come and challenge him for her. This tending actually brings the cows into estrus.  The older bulls are much better at knowing when the cows are in estrus and then move in on the young bulls and claim their cows.


Agitated bull with cow

So we had challenge rolling going on, chases of females by bulls,  one bull making another bull give up his wallow, and lots of bellowing and lip curling.  The lip curling allows the bull to smell through the roof of his mouth.


Bulls too young to mate practicing their moves

From a distance, the bellowing sounds almost like a really loud and deep  purr.. It can get louder as bulls challenge each other. But many bulls stand around singly and bellow or tend a cow and bellow.


The real deal with older bulls

The bulls  want most to mate with a dominate female and sometimes she gets chased a lot.  Her poor calf gets worn out, and sometimes separated for a while.


The lip curl

The bison have been moved to the next pasture and are now over two miles from the bunkhouse. I finally got to spend about an hour watching them Tuesday evening.  Many females are no longer being tended, so I think they have mated.  But I've yet to see that happen.  A pair of bulls tussled a few seconds very near the truck.  Several bulls came by tending females and bellowing. But nothing very exciting was happening and I've yet to see any heavy  duty fights.  If the bulls are very closely matched, they may fight a long time, but usually, the bulls are not all that close in size and age and one of them can intimidate the other without a fight.


Two bulls fight over a female

But Tuesday evening became more  and more magical.  After spending a hour close to a group of bison, I hiked up to High Point to look for a family of Lewis woodpeckers.  I didn't find them but enjoyed the setting sun on the Mission mountains and the panoramic views.  The sun going behind the mountains when I left to move on to Triskey Creek to put out my bee cups. But once again, I was detoured by over thirty bighorn sheep.  I ended up getting out of the truck and walking to the back bumper where I took pictures and enjoyed half of them.  The other half had crossed in front of the truck and were back lighted.


Big horn sheep hanging out by the auto tour road

Still more fun awaited.  I drove down the Triskey road - a bumpy two track - to put out my bee cups.  I stopped to open a gate, and  thought I saw a mule deer on the top of a golden mountain.  When I grabbed my camera, and took the beautiful composition, I found that it was an elk.




I have been wanting to continue to climb to the top of the hill, so did it.  The best news was that I  my step meter actually reported that I was doing aerobic exercise. I climbed and then walked around on the top of the mountain for ten minutes, then walked back down.  So I'm definitely getting my mountain legs.

Coming on around the loop auto tour to reach the bunkhouse, I was able to enjoy the lights of St. Ignatius.  This was the first time it's been dark enough to see them. I was also able to enjoy the last of the sunset, and the appearance of the evening star.  Then I got one last jolt when a bull elk raced across the road in front of me.  I barely missed hitting him.


The last of the sunset

 My morning treat was getting to visit with about forty people, including a man and his daughter from a town very near Houston and Galveston. I also talked to a lady  from Hempstead, a town a little north of Houston, Texas. Out topic was invasive species and I was able to interest the visitors by telling them how we have to work really hard and spend lots of money to keep the invasives from replacing the grass in the bison's pastures.

So yesterday was a very good day.


10 comments:

  1. What is challenge rolling? Is it common to have lots of wallows near each other in clusters? (I ask the latter, because I'm pretty sure that I have remnants of wallows on our property - probably about 6, plus others right nearby on our neighbor's land; all would be part of the same cluster.)

    Your "Last of the sunset" photo looks like a graphic greeting card! Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he bison seem to love to have wallows pretty close together. But I think the distance may be more of a function of the land rather than the intent of the bulls. I'm not seeing wallows close together on the prairie but in the bare ground of part of the Headquarters pasture, wallows are often pretty close together.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the kind comments. Challenge rolling seems to be when a bison rolls as a step towards a charge. It may also include rolling further away before coming over and looking another bull in the eye. The bulls also defend the wallows and a tougher bull will come over and threaten or give the bull lying down in the middle of the wallows a close look or a light head butt or even just a head shake and the lying down bull will get up and leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos, as usual. Sure is a beautiful if not downright magical place you're at. Only sleeping dogs here, heat advisory for being outdoors so seems a good time to stay inside and sew - and enjoy your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that elk shot is a real beauty! Isn't it great when a quick shot holds more than expected?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. But my hopeful shot of a Lewis woodpecker turned out to be a flicker.

      Delete
  5. Somehow the act of rolling just seems counter to the concept of challenge! Oh, well, I guess it works for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A staffer and I attempted to move a one-eyed bison from one field to another with a big truck. He absolutely refused and when we pushed him, he lay down and rolled in front of the truck.

      Delete
  6. What fun you have! I love reading of all your adventures and beautiful sights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You know how to have fun too. Still remember how much fun you gave me at our real meeting.

      Delete