Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Going-to-the-Sun Highway

I spent most of two days at Two Medicine in Glacier National Park.  Then I moved to Avalanche Campground, on the west side of Going-to-the-Sun Highway.  I left early, and planned to arrive at my destination before 10:00 A.M.

But even in my hurry, there were a few places where I was forced to stop.  The last time I had driven on Going-to-the-Sun Highway, I had the sun in the west.  This time the sun was just coming up in the east, making for really beautiful pictures.

So here a few I just had to take:

Wild Goose Island in the right light

Roadside view

Snowmelt forming torrent near the loop

Weeping wall

Wild garden terraces

Wildflower

Tunnel

Roadside waterfall

Logan Visitor Center - still haven't seen the inside

Roadside Ravens

Ice bridge along the road

Heaven's Peak

One of many bike riders out early

McDonald Creek Near Avalanche Campground

Another view of McDonald Creek  a little ways west
I got to my campground about 9:00A.M,  and then had to drive around a few minutes before I could locate a camp with hammock trees. I just parked, grabbed my trekking poles, water, snack, hat, and camera, and set off to hike Avalanche Falls Trail, another beautiful, but much easier hike.

Iff you plan to go to Glacier National Park and camp, be sure to get to your site really early.  I heard from a Glacier volunteer camp host that Many Glaciers Campground is often  full by 8:00 A.M. There are campgrounds in the Flathead National Forest and near the Hungry Horse Dam that you can use the first night and then rush in to grab a campground in the morning. Most of them will be full before 10:00 A.M. during July and August.

Pictures from my last trip across Going-to-the-Sun Highway are here. They include the pictures featured in an earlier blog, Hike From Sunriff Gorge.

8 comments:

  1. Great header shot of you and the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drooling again over your beautiful photos.
    Lovely paddle today on Mac Bayou; you definitely had the better temperature range.
    Well, I guess your photos will have to be the next best thing to being there. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I soo miss paddling that I'd almost take the temperatures. But then when the high is 84, I reconsider.

      Delete
  3. "Weeping Wall" - what a perfect title for that phenomenon, which always fascinates me. The ice bridge was also really unique looking. I love vicariously exploring with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That road is unique and always different. The ice bridge was caused by melting snow.

      Delete
  4. Marvelous hike through spectacular scenery. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually this was the drive part. I'll put up Avalanche Trail hike soon.

      Delete