View of Centennial Mountains at Red Rock Lake NWR

View of Centennial Mountains at Red Rock Lake NWR
View of Centennial Mountains at Red Rock Lake NWR

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Goodbye to a Refuge

Our Law Enforcement Officer let me close Thursday night so I could say goodby to all my favorite places.  I got Justin to lock the gate and left and hour early, since the sun is setting so early that it is dark before time for the gate to close.

I hiked up to High Point and waited for the sunset.  I was rewarded with a spectacular one.

Then Friday, I had to stop working on one last project to photograph a coyote.  And while I was loading my car, that evening, I had to grab my camera again to take a most amazing sun, that was almost a rose color amidst a swirling colored cloud.

And early Saturday morning, while I was finishing loading the car, I saw a vanquished bull elk walking tiredly down our road.  I quietly opened the door and ran for my camera.

So here are a few of my recent memories of the National Bison Range.


























It was a great summer but now my thoughts are of meeting old friends and arranging my surgeries. Hope to get in some kinds of play while recuperating.

I am traveling to go see my old boss and friend, Cindy, with whom I worked and played while at Okefenokee.  I'll spend several days Dinosaur  NP before going to north Texas for a paddling party that will also last a long weekend.  Stay tuned.