Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, February 14, 2016

My Very Good Day

There is lots of water on the outer banks, but most of it seems to be in the Atlantic ocean, or the sounds.  Since I prefer creeks and bayous, there doesn't seem to be a lot of paddling nearby. But today my paddling buddy, John, decided we would have a day with no rain, winds less than twelve mph, and mild temperatures - it got to 48° - so invited me to drive about eighteen miles north to meet him and then go a few more miles to the put-in.  Rick, another club paddler, joined us.

When I started writing this blog, I didn't know the name of the creek.  It doesn't even show on lots of maps.  But it used to be deep enough for sailboats to use it, and some of them are still trapped in there. After I asked John the name, and he didn't know he asked some people who have a boat there.  Apparently it is called Jean Guite Creek. All I could find out about it was that it was built to haul barges of logs.


Getting Ready

I took a lot of pictures of this dog retrieving while waiting on the guys

Rick and John

I was surprised to see this building - John pointed out trapped boats - from when this creek was deep enough for big boats. 

Then we arrived at a covered bridge

I found this little ecosystem very beautiful

It was hard to tell the Canada geese from their reflections

The guys approaching a covered bridge that goes nowhere - led to a failed housing development



Then we came to a developed area

Another enjoyable view

We spooked this great blue heron

Rick

We found a bridge being built over one of the neighborhood canals

Loved this allegator - also in the neighborhood where
we wandered lost for several minutes

Room for a garden and you can paddle from either side of this house - Check it out, Natalie


The sky over the Atlantic Ocean was beautiful 

Starting back from visiting a friend of the guys


I wouldn't want to paddle here in the summer


Coming under the covered bridge

Almost back

Caught a tiny sunset when I was almost home

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you. Hope you have happy plans for it.  I'm about to leave to go visit a very dear friend in South Carolina for my late Valentine's Day gift to myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment