Sunrise over Lower Red Rock Lake

Sunrise over Lower Red Rock Lake
Sunrise over Lower Red Rock Lake

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Exploring the Bold Coast and Looking for Lighthouses

April 16, 2016


I was a little late leaving on my first road trip up here in Maine and did not make it to the eastern most spot in the United States for sunup. But I was just a little north of where it is in the contiguous United States and took more of my sunrise pictures between that place, in Robbinston, Maine, and a little further south. Sunrise is just before 6:00 A.M.


Sunrise just south of Calais along Highway 1 South


Clouds formed at sunrise making it last longer


This was the first of scores of boats, mostly anchored


A pullout let me catch this scene

I bought The Maine Atlas and located three lighthouses within about sixty miles of the refuge, all south on Highway 1 or a few lesser roads that go along The Bold Coast. I never saw signs for the Whitlocks Mill Light which is just south of Calais, but easily found West Quoddy Head Light. I had also planned to go hiking and bird watching at the adjacent state park, but the wind was blowing a gale and I needed a heavier coat, a warm hat and gloves, all of which I'd left at home.


West Quoddy Head Light

I went back up to the town of Lubec and explored that small and currently hibernating town. I made lots of stops and darted out into the cold wind to get pictures, then rushed back to warm up in the car. 

One of many of the churches I admired on this trip


Lubec is still a fishing town and the harbor was full of boats

I found the sign for an International Park. AND I could see a lighthouse across the bridge. So I went over there for about five minutes, just long enough to snap a few pictures. When I came back, I found I had to go through customs and produce my passport. Thankfully, I had it in the car. Then, as I checked my facts for this blog, I realized did not know the name of the lighthouse in Canada. AND I had also missed a view of the Lubec Channel Light which is in the middle of the Lubec Channel. I'll have to go back for a picture of it someday.


The lighthouse on the Canadian side of Lubec

View of Lubec from Canada

I made an unplanned turn into some Conservation Land and took the next two pictures there. 


Not sure what these red-stemmed plants are


But they really set off a grove of birches


A view along the Bold Coast


I saw thousands of crab traps 


One of four species of birds I noticed - the others were robins, one kestrel, and ring-billed gulls


Another church style

Could not take this church without the power lines but yet another style


I had to take this too close and backlit but I'm amazed at all the church styles up here

By late morning, I had gone as far south as I had planned and started home by a different route so I could visit Reversing Falls Park, south of Pembroke. I was glad I was a women or I would probably still be lost. I had to ask directions twice since there are no signs for it on Highway 1 and the signs for it are way higher than normal, so I missed one of them. I spent the afternoon there, so I”ll tell you all the details in another blog.

Then on the way home, I carefully watched for the Whitlock Light, but could only find a very poor, backlit view of it from a picnic point. When I got home, I found that is the best I can do, so I'll stop there when it will at least be lit by eastern light. This light started out as a light on a tree and the small lighthouse is in trees.

This was a beautiful day and I had lots of fun, even though my plan to eat out was foiled by closed restaurants. I was glad I had salad makings and a roasted chicken I'd cooked on Friday. 

If any of  you have suggestions of places I should go visit, please put them in the comments. And thanks in advance for your comments.