Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Moro Rock - Half Gone But Hanging On

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Morro Rock is a one of several volcanic plugs on the California coast.  Today parts of it is a nature sanctuary and all of is a California Historical Site. But only about half of it got preserved. The rest was dynamited  from 1889 to 1969, to provide material for the breakwater of Morro Bay and the improvements at Port San Luis Harbor.  I'm so glad we kept half of it for the public to enjoy. 


I first caught glimpses of Morro rock on the way to Montana de Oro State Park and a view from the park,
partly obscured by fog

I have attempted to visit the rock several times, but have a penchant for getting distracted and following a trail, a bee, or even a view, so it took several tries to actually get there.  But I thought the second of two days might be auspicious, when I caught a rare sunrise on my way there. That was but one of many diversions, in spite of it being my second day in a row,  of exploring down the coast.


Sunrise over vineyards

My first close up view of Morro Rock was from the edge of the recreation area leading to it. Kayakers and surfers put in from the beach located in the curve in the picture below.


At the beginning of the walking tour

From a bit closer so I could exclude the diving platform

Another of my "watercolor shots"  of the north end of Morro Rock

Watercolor pictures of some of the flora

I spent a lot of time watching the sea otters - both on the way out and back in. They were just far enough out and in very bright, overhead light to make it hard to distinguish them from the dark seaweed. The sea otters were fairly close to shore but in very bright, overhead light.


There were lots of mothers and large babies. - I had a hard time telling what was otter and what was not  -
can you see the two mother/baby pairs?

Wrapped up sea otter - mothers roll them up in a floating, but rooted, piece of see grass
to keep them in place while they dive for sea urchins

The trail continues along the south end of the rock

I came upon a group of huge prickly pear cactus.  I noticed that there was something very different about some of the ears. They I noticed that they had been carved by vandals and responded with growing a kind of scar tissue.


Vandalized cactus pad

Blooms and vandalized pads

Two Indian tribes,  the Salinan and Chumash tribes consider Morro Rock to be a sacred site and the Salinan people are the only people with the right to climb it. Near the end of the trail, I spotted this gentleman in dark clothes, seemingly extending a blessing.  He stayed there for several minutes - maybe a lot more. 


Man, possibly praying

A water color picture of the amazing fragmented rocks - and praying man

The rock was quarried and some of it became this breakwater. I couldn't get a good picture because the fog was rolling in by the time I got to this spot, near the end of the trail.


Add caption

Fishing boats started to come back in through the  now thick fog, looking more like drawings than actual boats. Using the watercolor setting improved the very washed out pictures a bit.


Fishing craft

I was interested in the different plants quite high up on the rock.


This patch of yellow blooming plants made a nice contrast to the rock
A succulent growing maybe one hundred feet up.  

I caught sight of this group riding along the beach from the north and ran to get pictures

Today, Saturday, Cindy and I filled up her gas tank and went out to see what we could see. She wanted to check out some of her favorite places in Moro Bay. The best stop was at the Moro Coast Audubon Society Sweet Springs Nature Preserve. There we got a view of Morro Rock from the south west. We also enjoyed a few birds, including a mother mallard with babies,  green wing teal, and and a great horned owl.


Morro Rock from the Audubon Sanctuary

Today I saw the most cars on California highways, but the people are staying dispersed on the beaches and trails.  Hopefully we will be able to get out and enjoy the the beautiful places around here.  It certainly is keeping me happy and sane.














No comments:

Post a Comment