Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Morro Rock - Getting There

I have passed Morro Rock and attempted to take it's picture from Montana de Oro State Park, but finally set it as a destination. Cindy said I should attempt my first views of it from Hwy 46. Still working on  that. But I've made it to the actual walk to, and partially around the rock twice. I'll save that for another blog.  Here are some of what makes a 46 minute trip take 3-4 hours. And why you can never actually experience the same trip twice.


The first time I ALMOST got to Morro Rock, I found the sun too bright and the people too populous.  But I did spend some time enjoying the sea otters.


Grooming tail

Taking a nap

Lunching  on sea urchins

Mom and really big baby - most are born between November and March

View from Highway 46 - First try

Started earlier and had a little fog and lower sun the second day

After I turned onto Highway 1, things got a lot tougher.  I stopped for redwing blackbirds singing in tall, yellow blooming mustard. I stopped for scenic views. And I stopped to explore trails, and take pictures of yards I passed. I finally took a hike on the beach.


Sea side windmill

A red-tailed hawk surveying his domain

A fishing pier

A drainage meeting the see - accidentally took only in my watercolor setting

Whimbrel

Marbled godwit


Another accident - took picture of rock from beach with wildflower setting


Surfers spooked the marbled godwits


Morro Rock was much more photogenic the second day - and I got my camera settings right


Western Gulls are the MOST numerous - I wondered what this one was yelling about....


...Guess he was calling for dinner....

....then had to carry it off to drop on a hard place....

I was trying to get an art picture of flowers when this butterfly came along - forget to change settings. 


And then I explored the rock. .... to be continued.




No comments:

Post a Comment