Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, April 12, 2020

A Visit to Fiscalini Ranch Preserve

April 3, 2020


I often prefer to explore by just going out and following my nose. On my first day exploring, Cindy suggested I drive over to Highway 1 and explore my way along it.  So I did and went north. to San Simeon. I turned at the first sign that said ocean access and continued to take roads going west from Hwy 1.  The first place I came to had a lot of people walking and was right on the ocean.  But it was cold and I needed to find a restroom before hiking so went on.

I also like to research places to visit and Cindy suggested I visit Fiscalini Ranch Preserve as it has several miles of hiking trails.  So I used a map and tried to find it. I ended up at the rodeo grounds and the dog park, so tried again.  This time, I found the original place I had thought about hiking, but I wanted the real McCoy, so continued on. I went to a community park, that now had all the parking closed, so I drove down to street to a more primitive parking area and found a trailhead that was actually in the park.  I picked up a park brochure and found I had been at three of the four edges of the park and the fourth was the Pacific ocean.

I wanted to get down to the beach and knew there was a creek running to the ocean very near where I was parked, so I walked north into an opening in the woods that I thought was a trail.  If if had been, the trail had been completely overgrown by an invasive vine. But the opening was a great place for birds and I enjoyed a foraging wren and this song sparrow who was singing.


Song sparrow

I continued along the edge of the road back to the community park and then walked along the creek. One killdeer tried to lure me from her nest and others seemed to be sitting on theirs, although I didn't disturb them so am not sure. But then I almost stepped on a group of snowy plovers that may be planning to nest together in the gravelly sand.  I enjoyed the beach area for about an hour, sharing it with only a handful of walkers.


Nesting killdeer?

Snowy plovers

Snowy plover close up 

View across creek to San Simeon State Park

I think this is a ruddy turnstone in a hurry

I think these are California gulls

A group of sanderlings were feeding in a little cove in the creek

The view looking south along the beach

I cut back through the park to the road and walked back to the car. There, in a yard, I found the largest succulents I've ever seen - these were dinner plated size.


Dinner plate sized succulents on the road back to the car.


Finally at mid morning  - after several hours of driving and the beach walk, I started on the Santa Rosa Creek entrance which was a riparian area and woods. 


I think this may be wood sorrel

A western towhee flew into a little bower to feed on tree buds or blooms

A dull California towee stayed in a patch of shade so I couldn't get a decent picture of him

Trees were waking up and putting out leaves

In some places, the trees made almost a tunnel

The trail went up hill and came through more open land, containing some remains of the old ranceh buldings  then opened up on the top of a hill of prairie land leading down to the pacific. I walked along  the ridge for a while, until I was almost as far south  as I could go.  Then I took a series of trails down to the southwest corner and then took the now one way trail along the ocean. This trail gets the most use, so it has been made one way with a trail just above it being two way. Connecting trails have been made wider so we can stay six feet apart while passing. It is so nice to be in a state that values nature, outside recreation and public safety and lets us have them all.


Windswept


Evening primrose


Western morning glory?  Some flowers were all white

There were lots more people on the trails along the ocean, but they were one -way so we didn't get close,  and there were little trails down to the tidal pools and benches as well. So I wandered alone and took more pictures.  I did notice a seal just as it swam away so I didn't get a picture of it.


Gulls and cormorants

A rustic bench currently being used by Brewer's blackbirds

California gull landing

The sides of the bluff were sometimes covered in colorful plants or left bare


Seaside fleabane

Oh those colors

White crowned sparrow - one of the most common birds, including at our feeder

View from the Southeast entrance 

The most touching thing happened as I was leaving the ranch and walking down the road shown above.  I heard lots of honking, then saw about thirty cars pulling on to this road from a side road. The drivers - usually one per car with a few dogs were honking and waving.  They I read the signs taped to the cars and realized it was an impromptu parade of teachers trying to make their students feel better. It brought tears to my eyes. 


One of the thirty teachers making up a parade to drive by their student's houses. 


Happy Easter - I hope you found  joy in this day in spite of our war against the Coronavirus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment