Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Saturday, March 3, 2012

On The Oregon Trail

Last Tuesday was an exciting day. After going to a 75th birthday party for the Sacramento NWR where the volunteers were also recognized - I volunteered 518 hours - I finished packing my Honda Fit. Then after a few hours of sleep, I left at 4:00 A.M. for Malheur NWR  which is about a 500 mile drive.
 
California Dawn
 By the time dawn arrived, I was in the  mountains northeast of Redding, Califronia, on Highway 299.  As the day brightened, the views stretched across broad plains. A storm was promised by evening and I watched the clouds roll in.

View across the valley
Water in the landscape
Scenic highway

By the time I reached Oregon, it was mostly cloudy.  Traffic was mostly very light but I had a road hazard that consisted of a flock of big horn sheep. Then I found cows were free ranging.  And I went through a little sand storm. 


Winter storm rolling in

Oregon Road Hazard

Cows roam free in Oregon
Sand dunes along the road

By 2:30, I was only about thirty minutes away from Malheur. I started seeing water on both sides of the road holding Canada geese, tundra swans,  and a flock of snow geese - they are just starting to move north and have just arrived here.


Canada geese live here year round

Swans are migrating north

Then I saw a very familiar sight - the Malheur fire tower which is a clone of the one at Sacramento NWR.  A few minutes later, I was at the Visitor Center meeting with Lisa and Carey, the two ladies I'll be working under.


The Malheur fire tower

Almost Home

Visitor Center

Then it was time to drive on down to the volunteer area and find my little house. I'm the only volunteer here for now.  I figured out why when it starting snowing while I was unloading my car.  I had it about halfway unloaded  when the snow got so heavy that I didn't want to be out in it. I think most people know it won't be spring here for another month.


New Home Sweet Home AKA Coyote Hollow

After the snow

I'm sure I'm going to love this place.


4 comments:

  1. Glad you arrived safely. Your photos taken along the way are beautiful! Hope you enjoy your new "assignment"... that's one refuge we've never visited but is on our list of "must see"s. Stay Warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to not come back to any refuges until I've been to a lot. But I've already asked to come back here next year, maybe for longer because I want to be here in May and June. It's amazing and huge and has lots of other things to visit nearby.

      Delete
  2. I love the big horned sheep road hazzard. Made me smile. What a long trip you did in one day 500 miles. Whew......
    But your new place looks very nice, with or without the snow. And at least for now, you have it all to yourself. Don't forget to post pictures of the inside as well.

    Congratulations on a safe trip and a new NWR!

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I spent yesterday and today going back to Sacramento and packing up a second car load of stuff. And I went shopping and got my hair cut on the way Friday. Then spent two hours at the Sundial Bridge - blog will follow.

      Got home at 5:30 and am just about ready for some sleep.

      Delete