Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Wildflowers at Krumbo Reservoir, Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

As part of my bee study, I'm also trying to document all the wildflowers that are blooming near the places I trap bees. And I'm trying to get pictures of bees and butterflies on wildflowers.

The hardest part is finding out their names. I've spent a couple of hours today trying to find out the name of an Erigeron and think I'll have to go get more pictures of it to finally get to the species.

Here are the plants I found on the hillside above Krumbo Reservoir May 22, 2012.


Tidytips  Layia glandulosa

Desert paintbrush  (Castilleja chromosa)

             Basalt milkvetch  (Astragalus filipes)

Yellow Desert Paintbrush (Castilleja chromosa)

A fern I haven't identified growing on a rocky hill
 I learned that one often has to see the seeds of this genus to get to the species.That is true for this genus.
Microseris sp

Arrowleaf Balsamroot  (Balsamorhiza sagittata)

The biologist didn't know this flower.  It is currently under discussion in the Oregon Native Plant Society list.  I'm going to get better close-up pictures.  The name is correct to genus but maybe not to species.


Yellow desert fleabane (Erigeron linearis?)

I think this plant is probably the desert fleabane. But I'd love feedback on this plant as well.
This is much more common and grows in small to medium patches.  I think these are two different plant with the first one having succulent leaves.  


Yellow desert daisy (Erigeron linearis?)

Common Larkspur Delphinium nuttallianum

Stemless mock goldenweed,Stenotus acaul

Spiny phlox, Phlox hoodii


Spring is in definitely heating up.  But I'll be able to find spring flowers all summer by driving about 50 miles to the upper parts of Steen Mountain. And  I'm looking forward to learning all the plants that grow at Malheur NWR. 


No comments:

Post a Comment