Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Exploring Fundy National Park

April 24, 2016

I am currently living almost on the American/Canadian Border so at least half of my driving trips will be in Canada. Last Saturday we had rainy weather so I decided to only go off for a day trip on Sunday. I thought this blog would be about my visit to all the local saints – that is cities named for saints, St. Steven just across the St. Croix River from me – down Canada Highway 1, there are towns belonging to St. Andrew, St. George, St. John, and St. Martins.

I wanted to be out early for good photography light so I was crossing the border at 5:30 A. M. But at each place I could go explore coastal cities along the route, I decided I was too early, so decided to go as far as I could and then work my way back. Before I knew it, I was at the turn for Fundy National Park. There I got so distracted, that I ended up spending most of my non-traveling day there.

The park rises high above Fundy Bay and offers great views of it. The park is still mostly shut down for the season and only offers day use, as far as I could tell. I could not find any maps of information on Park attractions but did have a few attractions listed in my guide to New Brunswick.


This is an engraved poster showing the park.  I live off the left hand corner. 

I saw this view from several levels - this is not far above the shore

I stopped at every attraction near the highway as I came south through the park. Within a few stops, I realized that the park has a signature icon – a family set of lounge chairs. I kept seeing them at viewing points along my drive.


First view of red chairs-apparently all families should have two children


Chairs overlooking the bay near the closed Visitor Center


Another set of chairs

This looks like a squirrel but it had a rat tail

One of the attractions I knew about was Dickson Falls. It is on the road that leads from the Visitor Center to Wolf Point, a road that runs high above Fundy Bay. It was easy to find and I took the loop trail, starting with the one labeled the shortest. That trail led me to an overlook almost at eye level with the upper part of the falls. I wanted to get closer, so took a side trail that then led down many steps to the bottom of the falls, and then on down along Dickson Creek, which by the way is completely within the park. By the time I was finished, I'd walked the complete circle of trails. 


Some of the stairs going down to the falls

These plants were just starting to grow - Les or anyone - what are they?

The falls were beautiful
The moses made for a beautiful landscape

Finally the easy down ended, and I had to climb a set of about 50 steps and then walk up a pretty steep path to return to the parking lot.


On the way back up I found a tiny falls over a log in a side stream
This dark-eyed junco seemed to be posing so I took his picture


I found that one of Maine's covered bridges is also on the road to Wolf Point. In fact, I had to drive through it to get to Wolf Point. There I hiked down to the Wolf Point Beach which was only a narrow comma of sand in a little bay.


Wolf Point Bridge

You can enjoy the view of the bridge from a set of red chairs

The trail down to Wolf Point Beach


I think this is a spruce grouse 

I decided to go find a restaurant in the town of Alma, which adjoins the refuge. I'd been seeing ads for Alma's Lobster so went to find it. It was closed and will open “soon”. I did find one restaurant open and ate lunch there. I had a very delicious seafood chowder, and sauteed scallops.


Sounded great - will have to go back

I was amazed at finding these wild blooming flowers near Alma's Lobster Shop


Molly Kool was America's first American sea captain and was a native of Alma


Part of Alma is on a hill

As ever, I enjoyed the churches along the way. 


Loved how the steeple and door was in the corner


I was getting tired in the early afternoon and decided to start home. I noticed that I could make a small detour to see another covered bridge.


This bridge is not as scenic

I last remember enjoying pussy willows as a five year old so I'm loving them up here

This cute church has been recycled into a gift shop but it was closed

 I noticed that St. John has a reversing falls. I figured I had enough energy to check it out and enjoyed the view of the water and the city in the evening light. 

Reversing falls in St. John

 On the personal front, I'm having a blast.  I got the bears in my header picture while out checking our numerous water control features. And I've been given the job of checking out the nesting eagle.  I got a picture of mom and a baby on April 28 and a terrible picture of mom and two babies on April 30.  I'm working on an Eagle Diary that I'll share with you in a few weeks so you can watch the babies grow up. And I'm really loving hiking around with Mike.  Last week, we stopped and tried to figure out some strange finch-like birds.  Turns out they were red crossbills, a lifer for me.  And we had a pine siskin come within four feet of us.  And this morning I met our resident woodchuck.  He lives in a drain pipe near the headquarters building. I'll take my camera and try for a picture of him soon. And I set up bird feeders Friday and have white-throated sparrows visiting.


HAPPY MAY DAY - although if feels more like March up here

No comments:

Post a Comment