Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Oh Those Butterflies

December 3, 2017
Calloway Gardens, Georgia

One of my stops at Calloway Gardens was to visit the  butterfly house. You can reach it from several roads and paths.  I came to it through the hyacinth garden,  first enjoying the garden around it while the light was a little better.

The house opened to a large room dominated by a huge Christmas tree with a view to the gift shop behind it.  The magic started when I went through a glass door with a view of cases of lucite shelves with thousands of pupae (chrysalises). attached.  I started my tour with a close look at the many lucite shelves. The pupea themselves were beautiful but some had emerging butterflies that were unknown to me, but fabulous in their colors.

Then I went through another door into the actual house which felt like I was walking into a rain forest.  Put there were also flowering plants, including a plant with candlestick blooms that was listed as the plant of the week.



View of the butterfly house


A  statue in front of the building shows the life cycle of butterflies


A small bit of a lucite shelve with three butterflies just emerging from their pupae


The butterflies were all tropical and I'm not even going to try to identify them.  Enjoy.









































I have had a busy week trying to finish removing leaves from several acres of grounds and feeding fish.  I also spent Saturday, December 16, at a Christmas Count in Macon, GA.  That required me to leave at 4:00 A.M and return at 10:15 PM.  So I am a little late getting this blog ready to post. 

I am hoping that all of you are taking time to find joy in this season. And maybe finding it in doing Citizen Science by joining one or more Christmas Bird Counts. Click here to find a circle near you.
The requirements are having at least one eye and knowing what a bird looks like.  It is the BEST way to learn new birds, find great birding sites, and get sneak peaks of private lands that only open for the Christmas Count. 




No comments:

Post a Comment