Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Monday, March 19, 2018

Spring Begins Along the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Trail

March 5, 2018

I spent another cloudy day at Caraway Gardens.  I wondered if the wildflowers were starting to bloom along the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Trail which starts at the little cabin I wrote about earlier. From a long view, the trail looked dormant, but closer looks rewarded me with the first spring flowers.





Trout lily

Bloodroot

Trillium

A closer look at at a trillium flower




I loved finding a few colonies of May Apples, a plant I knew and loved as a child but haven't seen for many years. The first year plants produce one leaf. Two year old plants  produce two leaves and fruit at the juncture of the leaveas.  The plants don't produce nectar but do offer rich pollen.  Unless the seed is carried away from the colony, it will probably not grow successfully. Box turtles are believed to be the main dispersers of the seeds. For an interesting article on this plant, click here.


May apple 

I saw these a little green angels

Add caption

Rain lily




Red bud

Green and Gold

Rue Anonome

The trail went under a road beside a creek



Add caption









The trail blended into another trail near this lake

I thought my pants were fraying until I realized this was pollen

P.S.

Whoops! My bad.  I can no longer tall the days of the week since I'm supposed to be off on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, but I'm consumed with getting a garden built on a little island so am not taking days off.   Had this all ready but didn't set it to publish Sunday. 

And I'm starting to build my itinerary that will take me from here to Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, and Utah before getting to Montana the second week of May. 





No comments:

Post a Comment