Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, March 24, 2019

A Visit to Zapata Falls

March 17, 2017

From my arrival, I've had been really busy, helping first with judging a regional science fair, then with preparations for and working during the Crane Festival.  I looked forward to a few days off and started thinking about where I'd go.

I decided on a visit to Zapata Falls, one of the hidden gems of Colorado that is on the way to Great Sand Dunes National Park.

It was a beautiful early spring day, albeit with lots of remaining snow on the ground. I enjoyed the hour's drive and especially enjoyed the slow climb up the side of Blanca mountain with more and more of the San Luis Valley coming into sight and long views across to the San Dunes. The road had been plowed, but it is extremely rocky and can only be driven very slowly. It took about twenty minutes to reach the parking lot.  I gathered up my camera and hiking sticks and put on heavy coat for the first time in several years - I had left my other jackets in my work van- and started out.  The trail continues a little up hill, but is still easy and only eight tenths of a mile long. I stopped to take
pictures a few times before I saw the clef in the rocks that allows for the waterfall.


Blanca Mountain from just east of Alamosa

View from the dirt road to Zapata Falls

Looking out towards the sand dunes

Another view of the dunes and Sangre de Christo Mountains

I could not stop taking landscapes

The clouds and snow enhanced the views

Soon I was walking into the clef in the cliff into a shadowy world with ice piled against rock walls and the sound of moving water resonating from under the ice.  I continued carefully along the partially cleared path, walking into the crevice in the rocks.


Getting close

The snow was piled against the cliffs

Closeup of the rocks

Inside the falls had frozen to a glorious statue

These kids were trying to climb the rocks in spite of warnings not to do so

A closer view of the frozen falls showing the different textures

This looks like an abstract of two lovers to m

 I took the rest of the pictures on the way back, as the light got a little better.


The trail out of the crevice

A view down the trail to the outside of the crevice

This ice had moving water singing under it, with the ice adding resonance

Another trail view

Sangre de Christi mountains from the trail

Another long and hazy view

I can't get enough of the play of clouds and snow on the mountains


A closer view 

A view as I came back down the road

The view from near the bottom of the mountain

A pristine peak

I arrived back home to see the reason for naming these mountains the Sangre de Cristi, or Blood of Christ. The rising and setting sun can turn them blood red. I get this view many evenings.




On a personal front, I've been learning as much as possible about the flowering plants of the valley while helping to get ready for a safety inspection. I also am just back from visiting my daughter and then meeting with Virginia Scott, the bee expert who is helping me with materials and protocols to maximize bee collection in the valley.





No comments:

Post a Comment