Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, November 10, 2019

New Mexico with Julie - Going Back in Time at the Puye Cliff Dwellings

October 27, 2019

On my wandering trip from Eagle Nest to Bandelier National Monument, I had noticed a sign leading off my highway to a historical cliff dwelling. The road, through scenic mountains looked beautiful, so I went to check it out. 

As soon as I arrived and saw people on the mesa and climbing down the mountain, and down a thirty foot ladder, I wanted to do the tour. So I rushed in and bought a ticket. I had time to reflect on how Julie would feel if I told her about it and she couldn't do it.  So I talked to the tour leader and he said I could keep my receipt and come back with  Julie.  I planned to do that first thing the morning after I picked up Julie. 

But Julie was intent on getting to the Balloon Festival in Taos. We ended up driving back to Taos and enjoying the very last few minutes of the balloons. 


Balloons coming in

And getting packed up

Then we had to go back to the Rio Grande River Gorge Bridge so Julie could see it. We especially enjoyed the bighorn sheep rams and the many sellers. I even met the lady that I had camped next to in Eagle Nest when I woke up covered in snow. 

Rio Grand Gorge Bridge

Bighorn sheep hanging out at the rest stop at the bridge

 I finally dragged Julie  off and transported her to Puye Cliff Dwellings with only five minutes to go before the last tour.  We jumped into the van and headed up to the top of the mesa. In only a few minutes we were listening to our tour guide, who was a descendent of people who once lived here, tell us about the lives of her ancestors. 


The view from the ground when a tour is in progress

I had to decide if I could do this - piece of cake

Julie getting ready for the tour

There were many houses on the mesa - each little section held a family of four - and it was only about 8 X 10

Several different families lived inside this structure - actually mostly they just slept there and stored some of their stuff there

We got to go into the kiva -but not take pictures - and into this house

The view was magnificant - the Indians joined another pueblo that is in the far top left of the picture

Some of the houses build into the cliffs. They only had little scrapping tools to do this

Julie coming down the ladder

More houses

The little doors and windows seem to give life to the cliff

Another cliff view

We had another couple of adventures for the next few days. Stay tuned.

I'm finally getting around to publishing this. I'm visiting friends in Corpus Christi and am about to cook pumpkin cheesecake and lasagne for a luncheon tomorrow with these plus another pair of friends. I laughed yesterday when everyone thought the world was about to freeze when we hit the low 50's. I was the only person in short sleeves when I went bird watching.  Some people had three layers with hats and scarfs.

Happy Veterans Day. Thanks all veterans for your service.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place to visit. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. You are reminding me I need to contact you.

      Delete