Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Between Bluebonnets and Butterflies at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

I'm migrating west before starting my route north.  This lets me visit lots of friends and relatives, and to camp out.  Then I'll finally drive straight up and stop at one or more motels just before I reach my summer home.

Today I moved from Galveston, Texas to Dripping Springs, Texas, stopping at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center where I found spring in rushing toward summer.

As always, there is an air of excitement there, made more apparent today by both tours of senior citizens and and visits of school children, from toddlers to middle school.

There were a few bluebonnets still in bloom, but most of them had already set seed, which was rapidly maturing. Many other spring flowers were in bloom and summer blooms were starting to paint the landscape.

A senior tour. The man in the yellow shirt was the leader and seemed very knowledgeable 

Another volunteer talks to a school group at the beginning of their tour. 

The pond just before the entrance to the courtyard


This little water snake seemed to be stalking....

.....this frog

Athena the owl has had a nest with her mate at the entrance to the courtyard for the past seven years.
 I could only see one owlet today


What geometry


Bees and syrphid flies were busy

Lots of DYCs were blooming


View of the water tower


Bee collecting cactus pollen

This courtyard holds many themed beds showing habitats across Texas 

Caterpillars at the butterfly house


I was excited to see Clematis pitcheri just starting to bloom
Late blooming bluebonnets



Prickly pear cacti were getting glorious


Portrait of a prickly pear cactus bud


Prickly pear in bloom


I'm going to spend a long weekend with my daughter and go camping with her. Stay tuned.

I hope you are getting to enjoy spring where you live.




No comments:

Post a Comment