Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Thursday, April 5, 2018

A Visit to Thomasville Rose Garden

I was feeling the need for a rose fix, so I looked up rose gardens in Georgia.  I found one a little over three hours away that was open from seven to seven,  and touted itself as having fifteen hundred  roses on five acres. That is the description of the Thomasville Rose Garden, which is maintained by the city.  I counted back and figured I needed to leave by 4:00 AM to get there to catch the good light. I didn't manage to leave until four-thirty, so didn't get there until almost eight. I barely managed to catch most of the roses before the dew was off them and until the contrast got too bad to want the pictures. I was amazed at how many species seemed to be doing well in a hot, humid area.

I spent an enjoyable few hours there, but then had to decide on what else I wanted to do.  I had come past Plains, Georgia on my way and thought about going back and visiting that historic site. But I had my bike with me and needed to ride, so started looking for bike trails. There were none close by, so I decided to take a small detour through Maconon the way home,  eat at an Indian Buffet and take a bike ride there.

I had a good time and finally got home just before seven. I would not advise you to spend a lot of time finding this garden, but if you are in the neighborhood, it is well worth visiting.


The site is big and open but backed by huge trees and a lake, with a walking trail around it






















































I only kept up with a few of the names of the roses.  But the next two pictures are both from one of my personal favorites, Mutabulis, known as the butterfly rose, for good reason.  I seems to grow without a lot of babying throughout the south.  There are usually a few more colors to the flowers but this one was just getting started on its blooms.











The next rose was my garden favorite just because it is so cute.  It is called Whimsy.









I'm getting ready for a camping trip at Cloudland Canyon State Park next Sunday  - Tuesday, my current weekend. And then I'll have to pull out all my stuff and start packing to leave. 'Tis a bittersweet time of the year for me but I'm anxious to meet up with my Montana friends and other friends along the way.



No comments:

Post a Comment