Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Rock Art at Capital Reef

September 22, 2018

Petroglyphs made by the ancient Native Americans of the Fremont culture are visible in several parts of Capitol Reef National Park. The easiest ones to see are are right along the road, just east of the historic Fruita School. Their meaning is still unknown. Hopefully they will not be destroyed until we learn their secrets.

They are just off the road, accessible to all,  and protected by keeping the visitors on a walkway. A huge piece of rock containing other petroglyphs split off the main rock and broke up in the 1950's , destroying other petroglyphs here.

I had the hardest time locating ANY of the petroglyphs until someone helped me discover a few of them. I finally got my petroglyph eyes and started seeing them. The camera could see them better. I came back twice, because the sun was too bright to see all the details the first time I visited.


There are many quite tiny figures, some fading away more than others

The cliffs there are stunningly beautiful - but falling down

Apparently they had most of the animals we have today

Elk?

There were also people


More people, surrounded by animals - these are less than a foot high



This was my favorite group of people

This may be a big horn sheep - just not sure

Big horn and wolf?

More modern graffitti


When this comes up, I'll be playing in Corpus Christi. Then I'll be going to Galveston/Houston to vote.  play and also get my car inspected.


No comments:

Post a Comment