Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, August 25, 2019

A Spontaneous Visit to Mesa Verde - Part One - the Landscape

July 25, 2019


I had to take my car into a Toyota dealer for maintenance. Then I only had two choices - drive to Pueblo to the east or Durango to the west.  I found Durango had the best reputation so  made plans to drive the two and a half hour trip.

I got up early - and left just at daylight so I could enjoy the scenic views.  The trip goes out of the valley and through Wolf Pass in the San Juan Mountains before going down to Durango. I got to the car dealer about 9:30 and, by 11:00, I was ready to leave. I had time to get on line and hunt for  a place I'd like to go.  I found that Mesa Verde National Park was only another thirty-five minutes away so I set my GPS for there and headed out. 

Soon I saw a strange mountain, looking almost man made. As I got closer, I realized that this was at the park. When I  got inside the park and near it, I took a picture, but it wasn't fit to print. However the scenery was so vast, I was blown away and had  to stop and learn to take panoramic pictures with my phone. I also took lots of pictures with my camera. 

I decided that I should do a fast pass through as much of the park as I could, but also take a few hikes. I discovered that there is only one concessionaire camping there which is quite expensive. I'll be looking for close places in nearby public lands when I come for more days. Also you have to pay to visit some of the sites and go on a ranger-led tour to reach others.  For those who can't do the strenuous walking, there is also a bus tour. 

But first some of the views from the road or just off it.


The first formation one sees

I had to use the panoramic feature on my phone to impart the size of the view

In places, wildflowers were abundant

I was forced - for six hours - to look at views like this

Close view along a trail near a museum

The valleys were were the Indians lived while they farmed on the mesas

One of the buildings built to look like some of the Indian dwellings

Mesmerizing

Nature's garden design was pretty fine


Late summer golds are appearing


Sunset happened during a storm and was a bust but the view to the ease was amazing
I ended up spending about eight hours at the park and twenty-two hours awake.  After I left the park, after having not eaten all day, I was famished and decided to take myself out to a restaurant. But, by the time I got to Durango, only fast food places were open. So I stopped at a grocery store and bought pulled pork and chips. It was still a very rewarding day.  And my car check was free. 

Stay tuned for part two: Hikes and visits to some of the dwellings.

When this comes out I'll be picking up a couple of friends in Denver and taking them to my campsite in Rocky Mountains National Park.  I'll have a hectic week, with Natalie leaving Tuesday, me working Monday - Wednesday while cooking ahead and packing to leave on Thursday. But eventually I'll get caught up with the tales of my adventures. 



2 comments:

  1. Awesome photos. Haven't been to Mesa Verde in ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. But they are a poor substitute for a visit.

      Delete