Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hyalite Creek Hike

I've been visiting my friend, Kathy, in Bozeman, Montana for a few days.  She kept my car while I flew to New Mexico. Last Friday we did a short but beautiful hike along Hyalite Creek. The creek and the canyon are named for a large opal found in the area.


View of Hyalite Creek from a turnout

Another creek view

 
View of a nearby summit from trailhead
The mostly shady trail starts above the reservoir that supplies Bozeman with water. An accessible trail goes to the Grotto Falls.


Columbine leaves - most were still green

Wildflower

View of creek from trail

A few of these bushes grew in sunny spots

Choke cherries were ripe
Kathy and me at Grotto Falls

Water flowing over colorful stones in shallow creek

Arch Falls - we could not get a clear view of the arch any more
The trail goes up another three and a half miles to a little lake and then continues on further to a summit. We turned around here and went back.

Rocky bluff along trail

Butterfly with stained glass wings

This is a very popular local hike and we saw at least ten groups of people and dogs on the trail. One lady was even pushing a jogging stroller.


4 comments:

  1. I wondered how you got to Montana so quickly. I didn't realize you had flown to New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drove to Bozeman, then flew to Albuquerque, and drove to Red River where I spent a week. Then came back through Santa Fe where we spent a night and a day, then back to Albuquerque to fly back to Bozeman. Stayed there three days, then have been three nights on the road, heading to South Dakota Badlands tomorrow.

    Currently hiding from the heat in the Douglas, WY library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was a lovely if popular hike. I always have a hard time turning around if the trail goes further on even when I know I should. What a great little trip you had. I didn't realize you'd flown either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those aren't chokecherries.

    ReplyDelete