Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, August 12, 2018

A Wandering Weekend: Part Three, Driving to Gross Ventre Road Campsite


July 29, 2018




After getting coffee in Afton, I started north to Grand Tetons.  I stopped in Jackson for brunch and to edit my pictures before going on to Gross Venture Road.  There are several official campgrounds on this road, including Gross Venture, which is part of the Grand Teton National Park.  And in between them are the dispersed campsites.  It was early afternoon by the time I got this far and once again, I had to stop frequently for pictures.




















I started taking pictures of the Tetons several miles before this one - but it was the prettiest


I stopped to look at the Gross Ventre landslide - the largest ever - Click here for the story




Finally, I found a nice dispersed campground at just where a field met the riparian forest along Gross Venture River. The sky was darkening from both smoke and an approaching storm, so I set up my tent. I also set up my hammock for a few hours and read, since the light was too bad for pictures.

 I planned to leave very early the next morning so I could get a hike in before several hours of driving and grocery shopping before I would get back home. But around 8:00 P.M. a huge RV pulled in and I had to share the campground. So I ended up not getting much sleep and stayed in bed an extra hour.



My camp - it even had a bear box

But I still got an early start and met about three people while touring Mormon Row.


My last adventure was a beautiful hike in the Grand Tetons.  Stay tuned.


The two weeks since I've been back have been hectic. I'm still doing bluebird box surveys, although I'll be finished next week. I have 10 boxes with babies that will have fledged before my next visit. I've also been helping to find and spray for invasive plants. We have been starting at 6:00 A. M. and stopping at 2:00 P.M. Then I take a lunch/ rest break and do one of my project jobs, like birds, bathrooms, or now maintain the gates at Lower Lake.  We are trying to find the spot that will hold the water at seven feet.  I also gave a bee talk and then led a bee walk for the students at Utah University.  I'm making sure this is finished and scheduled to come out Sunday, while I am off camping and hiking - this time near Big Sky, Montana. I have to remember to get back in time to get a shower and clean clothes before giving another bee talk next Monday night.

Life is ever fun and never boring. 

Thanks in advance for your comments. Please share your experiences if you have been to any of the places I'm visiting.




No comments:

Post a Comment