American Holly

American Holly
American Holly

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Leaving My Sacramento NWR Home

 Sunday was my last day to work at Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge. Monday I packed up and attended a staff party for the 75th birthday of this refuge.  I will be driving up to Maleur NWR near Burns, Oregon when this post comes out.  I was thinking I wanted pictures to remember this place and realized I'd never posted about where I lived

I had a room about 12' X 12' with bunk beds in the Blue Goose Inn.  I brought my little stacking drawers with me and bought a chair and a lamp at a resale store. It was very comfortable, and, if I opened my door, the sun would heat the room.

I lived here with three young guys full time and a staff biologist part time.  Another  girl moved in the week before I left.  We also had other visitors, from time to time, including the state guys who worked at the hunt check stations. I made duck jerky with one of them one evening.

This was a wonderful experience, living with a younger generation and eating some really excellent food. I even volunteered to be the maid for poker nights in exchange for smoked duck, duck poppers, and other delicacies.

The Blue Goose Inn - my room is far left.
My bedroom
My bedroom
The large, double prep kitchen
Small living room across from dining table
Mike cooking and the rest waiting.  I lived with all the guys except the one facing backwards.