Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Leaving My Sacramento NWR Home

 Sunday was my last day to work at Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge. Monday I packed up and attended a staff party for the 75th birthday of this refuge.  I will be driving up to Maleur NWR near Burns, Oregon when this post comes out.  I was thinking I wanted pictures to remember this place and realized I'd never posted about where I lived

I had a room about 12' X 12' with bunk beds in the Blue Goose Inn.  I brought my little stacking drawers with me and bought a chair and a lamp at a resale store. It was very comfortable, and, if I opened my door, the sun would heat the room.

I lived here with three young guys full time and a staff biologist part time.  Another  girl moved in the week before I left.  We also had other visitors, from time to time, including the state guys who worked at the hunt check stations. I made duck jerky with one of them one evening.

This was a wonderful experience, living with a younger generation and eating some really excellent food. I even volunteered to be the maid for poker nights in exchange for smoked duck, duck poppers, and other delicacies.

The Blue Goose Inn - my room is far left.
My bedroom
My bedroom
The large, double prep kitchen
Small living room across from dining table
Mike cooking and the rest waiting.  I lived with all the guys except the one facing backwards.

4 comments:

  1. Safe travels to Malheur. It's a very interesting refuge steeped in history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got here just before a snow shower. We are supposed to get more snow tonight.

      Delete
  2. You definitely have some interesting living situations. I'm happy to hear that some NWRs have places for volunteers who don't have RVs to stay. How do you find those??

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can check out the housing offerings on the resident volunteer web page. http://www.fws.gov/volunteers/resOppsList_10_22_2010.html

      Delete