Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Friday, September 21, 2018

Migration is Underway - Stopping at Capitol Reef National Park

September 18, 2018

I was blown away at the red hills rising up near Highway 24 as I neared Torrey, Utah. I was approaching Capitol Reef National Park where I planed to stay until the following Saturday. Then I reached Torrey and found even more colorful stone mountains. 

It was the hottest I had ever experienced this summer and it was already afternoon, by the time I arrived, so I just wanted to set up camp and collapse into my hammock until it cooled off. But my site had been watered so long, it was a muddy mess, so I just set up my hammock and collapsed into it until the temperature started to cool down and the light started to soften. Then I figured it was time to do something that didn’t involve much activity. Driving the ten mile scenic road within the park, which my campsite was on, seemed doable.  


I ended up driving home after dark.  This road gives a great taste of what is available which is mountains, cliffs, valleys with washes, any another description of mostly bare rock in various colors. 

So come along and enjoy as the sun gradually left the grandeur in shadows.  And the half moon appeared before the sun set. 





















I'm writing this in the Wayne County Visitor Center at the junction of Highways 24 and 12 on September 12. Possibilities for adventure exist in all directions.  My feet are extremely sore from walking 8 miles yesterday and three miles today.  In my defense, I did a lot of climbing, including many tall steps this morning on the Cassidy Arch Trail.  I'm hoping to recover enough to do another short trail this evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment