Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Yellowstone National Park - Day 3- Julie Arrives

August 25, 2018


Click here for a map of Yellowstone to see where we were.  This was between Gardiner and Norris Campground. 

I only had to drive less than two hours to the airport in Bozeman to pick up Julie at 1:30 PM in Bozeman.  I left early so I could have an excuse to eat at the Nova Cafe and then drive a few more blocks to one of my favorite libraries. I also had to leave time to pick up the fresh groceries. But all too soon Julie plane's was landing and I was making my way to the arrival gate.

(A word about Julie.  She is the same age as my youngest daughter but feels like my twin. I met her over the phone at Okefeenokee NWR when she called for information on paddling the Swanee River out of the refuge. I got her to write my only guest blog on that trip she did with her father. Then we met in person on a overnight paddling trip she invited me on.  Since then, we have met up a few more times and now I plan for her to meet up with me at least once a year. I've also visited her several times and expect to do so again this winter. She is one of the several wonderful people that live across the country but I consider my very good friends and which I've scored as part of my volunteer life.)



The day started with a smoky sunrise  


We have arrived- at the north entrance gate

Julie was ready to start her adventure immediately, so we had kept our swimsuits and towels at the ready.  We stopped at Boiling River for the hot soak.  Actually, we got a lot of exercise spinning our bodies around as we usually could only have one side hot while the other side froze. And struggling back up through a chute with high current gave us even more exercise. 


The Boiling River soak spot that is hot water coming out of the springs at the right, as well as one higher up

Our first stop after the soak was to photograph some of the Mammoth Elk who give birth right in the grassy areas of Mammoth

The most visible feature of Mammoth

We didn't get to the Mammoth features until the sun was disappearing  

The view seemed entirely different in this light

The golds were more darkly golden


Whites turned silver


I took this picture on the way by in the morning

Getting darker

Closeup of one of the features

I shot this straight down into a pool - aren't these amazing?

Another closeup




One of the Mammoth Elk grazing near the public restroom


We stopped at a pullout to catch the disappearing sun

We ran out of light to see the upper drive area at Mammoth but left that for the following Thursday. 

By the time we got home, it was almost 9:00 PM. Julie got her tent up and started a fire with logs I'd bought and wood she scrounged while I fixed a quick supper. We decided to save our steaks for the following night, when we planned to get back earlier.  I stayed up way past my bedtime enjoying wine and the fire, but still gave out before Julie.

Since Julie and I are both a little ADHD, we egg each other on.  Be warned, we may have to divide our reports of our days, just to not wear YOU out. Please share your memories or other comments. They really are fun for me to go back and read in subsequent years.

I have so many blogs covering our visit, I'm going to put out two during this week.

On the personal front, as I put this blog out, I'm starting my last eight days. It is a bittersweet time as I will probably never see some of my favorite people again as my boss and the maintenance person are retiring this winter.  And I'm getting excited about visiting my next summer home in Colorado and getting to return to Georgia for the winter and meeting back up with lots of friends and colleagues. 



No comments:

Post a Comment