Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Going with Gusto



I wanted to see the sun rise in the midst of all this rocky grandeur, so set off about an hour before sunrise to look for a good spot.  I got all the way to the east entrance of Capitol Reef National Park, before I decided I had a good place. The sun was just starting to color the sky when I got there. I stopped to take pictures, then noticed I could drive on the Notom-Bullfrog Road and get a higher perspective.



Sunrise from the east entrance

From the road to the Lake Powell Ferry

After enjoying the sunrise until it disappeared under clouds, I continued on west for a little longer. I found a sign and signs of camping at the Fremont Granary site.  I didn’t actually go in to look for the granary but was intrigued by a car coming out of a dirt road and the sign that told camping was permitted. I went in to find at least three camp sites.  None were being used and they were right in the rocky outcroppings. A great place to watch sunrise, I think. 

I figured it was closer to Towery than Hanksville, so I turned around and started back to breakfast in Torrey.  I noticed several more dispersed campsites along the Fremont river which sort of paralleled the highway. I stopped and walked to the river several times., enjoying the views of the river.  I also had to stop to take pictures of the magnificant stonework that is part of the Waterpocket Fold. 




One of the free dispersesd camp sites
Another site, along the Fremont River


I took a lot of these amazing rock features

Behunin Cabin

The Behunin family minus two kids - did they stand up to sleep?

A closeup view

Couldn't stop taking
Then I saw the sign for the trailhead for Grand Wash and decided I needed to hike in the early light. The next pictures are a few of the many I took.


The entrance to Grand Wash

Whipped rock

These suckers are BIG

Lizard

Niche


This rock fall reminded me of a candy dispenser on a very grand scale

Some narrow side canyons entered the wash

The colors changed with the light and camera settings

Many rocks have fallen

Sunlight and shadow

A closeup of the cracked, dry mud in the bottom of the wash

Nature's art 

This place has the BEST views



And so many colors

This is one of my favorite, showing the grandor

Looking straight up

By the time I got finished with my hike, I had over six miles on my step meter.  But I had to stop again to pick an apple or two at one of the several orchards in the park.


Loved this old wagon at the Jackson Orchard

Most trees had finished bearing

But a few still had fruit and they were delicious

I ended up going to the Wayne County Visitor Center for wi-fi and working on my pictures. I'm back to try to get this blog ready to go up on Sunday.  Time for a late lunch or early supper. Please forgive my mistakes. I usually can't find them on the first pass.

When this comes out I'll be driving down Highway 12 - which will have to have its own blog - to camp with friends who are joining me at Grand Canyon National Park.  Another wonderful set of adventures are in the offing.  And I have another day of adventures here.


No comments:

Post a Comment