Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Yellowstone Park - Day 4b - Mystic Falls Hike

Julie and I were just hitting our stride about 1:00 P. M. on Sunday.  We had arrived at the Mystic Falls Hike which has a walk to the falls, and another loop trail to the top of the mountain which gives an overlook of of the Old Faithful Basin.  Since Julie is both very fit AND my daughter's age, I always plan to let her do some things without me so she doesn't have to wait on my slow hiking. I borrowed another bear spray and taught her the quick draw and the importance of keeping the spray at hand, not packed away.

We hiked together for a few minutes until I suggested that Julie go ahead as she was going to hike the full trail while I only hiked to the falls.  And I felt free to stop as often as I wanted to take pictures.



Julie at the trailhead at the back of Biscuit Basin

View near the beginning of the trail

Much of the trail was through woods

A tiny bit of fall color is appearing

This flowers are at the end of their bloom time. I loved their natural arrangement

This is the Little Firehole River, a tributary of the Firehole River

The river song and image made the hike better - I hiked down close to the river for this shot

One of my first views of Mystic Falls

I couldn't get all the falls into one picture - here are more of them

And another view

Each picture I took was different - but I won't show you all 20 versions

The falls bend and you have to keep hiking forward and up to see more of them

I liked this foreshortened view of the main part of the falls

Julie was rewarded by a view over to Old Faithful basin (photo by Julie)

Julie caught up with me just after I finished the hike.

We still had to visit Old Faithful and all her near neighbors before dark. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment