Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Cassidy Arch Hike

September 30, 2017

I started driving to the trailhead at first light.  But it was cold and getting colder so I waited until the sun was rising. I didn't even make it to the arch, but the trail itself was exceptional.  This is a hot trail so it is best to hike it early in the morning. The light comes in from behind you then and makes for gorgeous colors. 



The trail was being repaired. The tape was to keep people out from under it - and possibly falling rocks

The trail does most of it's climbing at the beginning with steep switchbacks, and lots of tall steps

It also starts on the edge of the cliff - I never felt like I'd fall off the mountain

The trail starts about two tenths of a mile down Grand Wash, from the Scenic Road end. Then it goes back west, so I hiked back past my starting point. That little blue car on the far left is my Honda.


From a few hundred feet up


The sun was just starting to paint the highest cliffs


Another view along the trail in early light


That is the trail pretty near the top- pretty flat


The mix of rocks was amazing

Going up again

This almost felt like an alter

Several mountains had formations on top

And there were rock "meadows"

A close view

I met this lizard after I missed a turn and ended up in a rock field


That hole is the front of Cassidy arch


Just another sceen


Another topping rock


Can't get over these layors


Or how many rocks have broken off


View of the front of Cassidy Arch - from almost on top of the world


Just another view


These rock looked whipped to me


Trailside view


This was pretty much where I turned back.  But what a view. 


By the time I came back down, I ran into the trail builders. There were two woman and two men.  I stopped and talked to the women.  They are with AmeriCorps and have a few more weeks of work on this trail before going on to work on trails in Zion. There work was beautiful.  I only saw one place where you could see rebar holding the stone steps they were building.






This was a hike that had some kind of enjoyment every few feet. I highly recommend it.

When this blog comes out, I'll be in the Grand Canyon. I still have a few more blogs on here. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment