Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Monday, September 3, 2018

Yellowstone Park - Day 4a- Let the Adventures Begin!

August 26, 2018

Julie doesn't like to get up early but likes to stay up until midnight.  I like to be up before dawn which currently is happing around 6:00 AM.  We negotiated to let Julie sleep in until around 7:00 A. M.  I also had not made a batch of overnight oatmeal with almond milk, yogurt, walnuts, oats, and blueberries.  So we spent a slow morning getting breakfast and snacks packed for the week, organizing our ice chests into which I'd just dumped food and ice the previous day, and organizing the car so we could find what we needed and have extra clothes at hand. We also let the day warm up - most days were below freezing to start.

We had discussed having an easy day, and starting by going over to the Norris Geyser Field, only a mile away. So after coffee and breakfast, we packed up and left for there, arriving early enough that the huge parking lot wasn't yet full and the light was still beautiful.


A view across Norris field from the entrance

Another long view across Norris Field

Julie's picture of me

Patterns

Porcelain colors

My most inclusive view of Norris Geyser Field

Another view to the west

I'm always completely captivated by the colors and patterns that are here


Julie in the fog

For more detailed information of the complete tour of Norris Basin, click here.

Then we were ready to start charging. We walked the back country trail to several other features before leaving Norris Basin.  Then we drove to Biscuit Basin where the trailhead to Mystic Falls is. I thought this was a perfect trail for Julie and me.  She walked the top loop which is an extra mile, while I only did the bottom loop,  so we finished at the same time. I ended the day with nine and seven tenths miles while Julie walked about twelve miles.  I'll save the actual trail for another blog, but here are some pictures of this very colorful and beautiful basin.

A lone bison bull we passed

Just glorious

View across the field in an overcast moment

All the shades of blue are my favorite colors so I always feel in heaven here

Loved the form and color of this little geyser

More colors

We started our hike about one o'clock.  We also managed to have time to visit the Old Faithful Basin and look for wildlife. Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment