Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Goodbye to the Padre Island National Seashore

Another bittersweet two days. I've been at the Corpus Christi Paddlefest, organized by my friend Ken Johnson.  We had high winds yesterday so I just went in the afternoon to enjoy visits with friends. Today I led the trip to to some of the dunes on Padre Island National Seashore. It was a great trip with ten old friends and two new ones. I was so wishing I could camp out and enjoy the dunes in the magical morning and  evening lights. But it was a beautiful paddle and then walk through the dunes before enjoying the dunes while eating our lunch.

Waiting for everyone to pay the entry fee

Getting ready to paddle in Bird Island Basin

Linda and Chipper

Landing at the Dunes

View from up in dunes

Twisted

George taking pictures

Dune beauty

Pioneering flowers

Cove full of kayaks

We decided to paddle a little further and went up to the inter-coastal canal and watched some tugs hauling or pushing barges down towards Brownsville. All too soon we had to turn around so we would have time to clean up and rest a little before meeting for a Bar-Be-Que Supper. I had to leave before the entertainment started so I could come back to Winnie's house and wash my clothes and repack my car.


Winnie watching barge

I'll be off to California early tomorrow morning and hope to be able to enjoy all four of my camping stops.  I may not have Internet for the next four days but I'll have lots to tell you after I get to California.

Next stop I'll be sleeping with the fish.




3 comments:

  1. What fun in such a beautiful place. Am loving the dog in the basket!! It's just about time for me to store my kayak for the winter. I just hate giving up the summertime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful day of paddling and friendship. Great moments to remember. Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KaHolly, you need to move south. I only don't paddle the middle of summer days. And kayak camping is best Oct - Dec and late Feb to May.

    ReplyDelete