Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

The Holy City of Witchita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge

October 6, 2017
Okalahoma

(Note: Wednesdays posts are catch up posts since I did not blog since July.  Check the date and location.  This was from stops along my migration.)

One of the most surprising things about Witchita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge is that is the Holy City is located there. The refuge rents the land to the Wichita Mountains Easter Pageant Association, a privite organization.  This is the site of the longest running Easter Pageant.

The first time I visited the Witchita Mouontains NWR, was before I started this blog and I put my pictures on Webshots, a now defunct site. About a year later, I received an long, passionate, email from a lady who had found my pictures and written to thank me for putting them up.  She was from that area and her parents had gotten married in the Holy City Chapel. She had married and moved away, then gotton divorced and was too poor to travel back home and was very homesick. When she found my pictures, she put all of them on her screen saver.   I was so glad my pictures had given her joy.

The site is supposed to look like Jeruselum. I can't attest to that one way or the other.


The view of the chapel


Looking from the back

The tiny organ

 A closer look at the front

A closeup of some of the paintings

More paintings on the ceiling arond the chandelier

This was in the vestibule

I think this was a guard tower


This may represent the tomb



Another prop in the Easter Pagent

The buildings were built of native stone but look like they are hundreds of years old. And that is a
chariot with the red and white wheels


One of several stained glass windows in one of the buildings


This tablot appeared to be inside a cave in the back of a building 

Christ of the Wichitas

Someone took a short drone video of the site. Click here to view it.

I love hearing from you.  Please leave a comment about your memories, dreams,  or to correct me.

On the personal front, I'm enjoying feeding all the fish that are overwintering with us.  Most of my time is spent blowing, raking, and hauling off leaves. I'm so glad to see that most of the leaves are now on the ground so, hopefully, my boss can see I'm actually working.


No comments:

Post a Comment