Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Travels With Winnie - In Search of the Rio Grande Headwaters

Winnie and I are both paddlers and are interested in rivers. We have paddled the Rio Grand in Texas. The Rio Grande starts in Colorado in the mountains beyond Creede, Colorado in the Rio Grande National Forest. The road to get there is a designated scenic byway, so we decided we would all enjoy the car trip and Winnie and I would jump out a lot for short walks and pictures.


Map of the Rio Grande from Web


We didn't rush to get going, so it was mid morning before we got to Creede.  We got information on things to do in Creede and for a beautiful and historic trip through the old mining area just north of the town. I also did a quick stop at the Forest Service's information center to get the directions to the headwaters. There I got the bad news that you have to hike in or ride in on a four wheel drive vehicle on a very degraded road to reach the actual headwaters of the Rio Grande. We decided to go to the last place recommended for cars, which is about six miles past the first reservoir on the Rio Grande. (I'm going to see how far I can get on another visit. )

I wanted a picture of a mountain scene but couldn't find a pull off spot.  Winnie suggested I take a side road to get the picture. I took it and we found ourselves in a wildflower wonderland with an excellent view of the mountain. Winnie and I piled out and darted around, finding all kinds of wildflowers. And I was able to get a picture of the mountain with a wildflower meadow in the foreground.

Please tell me what these are in a comment if you know them 

The mountain that caused the detour


Winnie with cinquefoil and paintbrush

After several more miles of beautiful views and a few stream crossings we arrived at the turn for the Rio Grand Reservoir.  We thought we had found it when we cam around a corner and found a small lake. It had several species of ducks on it, including babies.


Mother and babies

Rock formation above the lake - that forward rock looked like a resting camel to me

A look at our map informed us that we had several more miles of driving to do to get to the end of the auto road. So we continued upward, stopping to check out campgrounds and find beautiful views of a wild little river.


Winnie looking for the best view upstream

There was lots of white water - for sure this can be paddled a little further south

A view a little further up

This is the same mountain  as in an earlier picture

I took the mountain in the background several times as we got closer to it 

Another stop
Our goal of sticking our toes into the headwaters became a goal of sticking them in at the furthest access point we could reach.  It turned out to be under a bridge just past yet another free campsite that was completely empty.  We took each other's pictures to document this great feat.


This was not cold - but only because I had my feet in a shallow eddy

Winnie looking very sexy

I took a few more pictures on the way back, especially of the long views and the river valley.


A broad view across the valley

The Rio Grande near the reservoir

A closeup of a tiny island

River Valley

Some of the more beautiful rocks and Rocky Mountain Penstemon

2 comments:

  1. I hope Ellen and the doggies and I might repeat this trip. Beautiful, can't wait for the cool breezes although you are both dressed like it isn't so cool. Temperature-wise, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you did. Got lots more to show you next year.

    ReplyDelete