Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

That Going-to-the-Sun-Highway

No matter what else people do in Glacier,  they all travel the Going-to-the-Sun Highway.  The first time I traveled it, I was told it would take about two hours.  Actually it took me a day and a half to finish it.  Since then I can sometimes restrain myself and make it in under three hours.  But I got to see it several times since Julie and I took it across the middle of the park to reach our northeastern camp site at Many Glaciers, and then we went back to take her to the airport and I was on it to try to hike the Highline Trail and again, very early on a cloudy morning as I left to go home.

The Thompson fire has just gone through the eastern part of it and will make for very different viewing and make views of St. Mary Lake more open in a lot of places.

I think it is one of the most spectacular areas in the country with only the Beartooth Highway even being in competition.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from this trip.

The west end of McDonald Lake at sunset

The road runs against cliffs in most places

The view of a stream coming down the mountain and crossing the road

A view along St. Mary's Lake

A view near Logan Pass after a snowstorm 

Another view after the snowstorm

Bighorn sheep on the mountain across from the Logan Visitor Center parking lot

Clouds playing with mountains

Fall colors, with mountains and clouds


Detail of the rocks on the cliffs along the road


The mandatory Wild Goose Island picture - in St. Mary Lake


If you want to see views of my first trip, click here. And I have already been back to see Beartooth Highway and will eventually have a blog on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment