Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough
Roseate Spoonbills on Big Slough

Monday, November 18, 2019

Hiking the Main Loop Trail in Bandelier National Monument

October 29, 2019

I spent a night at Bandelier National Monument before picking up Julie and then we spent two more nights there while exploring between there and Albuquerque. We finally got around to visiting the Visitor Center and taking a short hike after breaking camp.

Our camp at Bandelier National Monument

I kept my cooler cold by taking out the gel packs and laying them on the car every night to freeze- Julie thought she needed to keep her creamer cold - it froze solid. 

Bandelier had about seventy miles of trails but we only hiked a bit more than a mile. But it was a mile through a pueblo and where we could occasionally take wooden ladders up to get inside a living quarter and also get stunning views.  So it took a while. even though it was a very easy trail.


This is a place I'd like to see more of

One of almost constant spectacular views
This shows most of the beginning and last part of the trail which came back behind the trees 

The hike begins just behind the Visitor Center and soon passes the pueblo structures,  kiva and center area

The first part of the trail at the pueblo rooms

This portion is accessible


But soon we were hiking up along a bluff

Julie at the first place we could climb up to check out the living quarters

A couple came along and took my picture - the wife got brave enough to try it herself but the husband didn't - I took the overview picture from here

Can you find the easy trail?

This was definitely a strolling trail....

....With highly rewarding views

The golden cottonwoods mark the creek that supplied water for the pueblo - The three figures are staff taking the Frey trail that climbs out of the canyon to the camping area

Another room carved into the bluff

Even the colors served to give me joy

The rugged terrain contrasted with the easy trail

More living quarters

I think there were rooms that have fallen down - these are post holes for supports. 

View from the other side of the loop - across the creek

The last view I took, just before the end of the hike 

On a personal note, I've been having fun, fun, fun with my Houston friends.  I couldn't find time or energy to sit down and write a blog, and now I'm MANY blogs behind. I was so excited to get to try to paddle yesterday with several friends. They brought tow ropes in case I couldn't make it but I did and survived with almost no pain. I also threw a supper party, went to a Canoe Club meeting with a group supper before, and watched another friend compete in a Barn Hunt, where dogs find rats in hidden tubes along hay bale trails.

Now I'm turning my thoughts to getting cataract surgery and planning a birding/photography tour with a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment